If you’re the one to dye your locks, you know how difficult it is to preserve the color and prevent fading. Sometimes, it seems that no matter how hard you try, the color fades inevitably… Disappointing, right?
Hello, ladies! It’s Monica, and I’ve prepared an extensive list of the very best shampoos and conditioners for color-treated hair, dyed blonde, red, and dark. They are meant to protect color, keeping your tresses beautiful, vibrant, and bright. Whether you’re looking for the best shampoo for African-American color-treated hair or the perfect moisturizing conditioner for brittle ends – there is probably a staple for you!
Top Shampoos and Conditioners for Color-Treated Hair
In my top-list, there are products for any taste and budget, so you’re definitely spoiled for choice. So, what are we waiting for? Let’s get started!
1. Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair – DermaChange Thick & Full Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner
This set is meant to make your locks thicker and fuller, promoting hair growth. If you’re the one to suffer from thinning hair, that’s a real catch for you! For some of my clients, this duo was a great help during the chemo treatment as it helped to keep at least some hair.
It’s made with organic ingredients such as aloe vera, coconut oil, cassava root, and more. Thanks to them, this shampoo and conditioner set provides your hair with vitamins, amino acids, and nutrients that it needs to grow and thrive.
This duo not only nourishes and strengthens your precious tresses but also helps to restore moisture balance, treat split ends, and repair fibers. Hair feels soft and strong at the same time – what an amazing result! Also, these are the best shampoo and conditioner for African-American hair, both natural or processed.
- best shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair that prevent hair loss;
- contain natural and organic ingredients;
- hair looks fuller, thicker, and shinier;
- free of parabens and sulfates.
2. Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set – Best Sulfate-Free Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair
Besides argan oil, this set contains other natural ingredients like avocado, sea buckthorn, jojoba oils, and green tea. They help to restore and nourish dry, brittle or damaged locks. This shampoo and conditioner duo is mild enough to use not only on natural but also processed and color-treated hair. After using this set, hair feels softer, stronger, and more manageable.
- best sulfate-free shampoo for color-treated hair that works wonders if paired up with the conditioner;
- set is full of vitamins, fatty acids, and minerals, meant to nourish and condition your locks;
- hypoallergenic formula is safe for sensitive skin;
- free of sulfates, parabens, and silicones;
- suitable for straight, wavy or curly hair.
- may dry hair out;
- might cause itching and flaking.
3. L’Oreal Paris EverPure – Best Drugstore Shampoo and Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair
Both these products are made with natural botanicals like rosemary and juniper which give them this pleasant smell. These L’Oreal Paris shampoo and conditioner are said to be safe for color-treated hair, featuring the anti-fade system for the color to last longer.
And this combo helps to protect color indeed. Also, the EverPure Moisture system restores essential moisture, making your hair softer, shinier, and easier to manage.
Finally, you can’t beat the price, especially as compared with other sulfate-free color-safe products. All in all, it’s the best drugstore shampoo for color-treated hair coupled with a great conditioner.
- best drugstore shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair that moisturize, add shine and softness, and reduce frizziness;
- this L’Oreal shampoo for color-treated hair lathers pretty well despite being sulfate-free;
- anti-fade system;
- sulfate-free and paraben-free;
- nice rosemary-mint smell.
- might cause hair loss.
4. LuxeOrganix Travel Shampoo and Conditioner Set
In my experience, it’s the best shampoo for fine color-treated hair that gives amazing results if paired up with the color depositing conditioner. Containing argan oil and vitamin B5, these products are meant to make your hair strong, shiny, and full without weighing it down. They help to eliminate frizz, protect your precious locks, and soften them.
After using this duo, hair feels soft and easy-to-manage, not to mention fullness and body. And if you’re the one to have curly hair, you curls will probably look more defined. These shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair are suitable for dry, damaged, thin, wavy, curly, and frizzy locks. What’s more, they come not only in travel-sized bottles but also as a trial and economy set, so you have many options here.
- the best shampoo and conditioner for curly color-treated hair that makes curls more defined if used with the conditioner;
- set contains UV and thermal protectant with vitamins and antioxidants;
- adds body, volume, and shine to hair;
- free of sulfates and parabens;
- fresh fruity smell.
- set will cost you a pretty penny.
5. Dove Nutritive Solutions Color Care Shampoo
Designed specifically for dyed locks, this Dove shampoo helps to keep color vibrant for up to 40 washes when used with the Dove Color Care conditioner. The shampoo is formulated with the Vibrant Color lock that helps to extend the life of hair color. According to the manufacturer, it’s suitable for daily use which is a big plus. If used with the conditioner, this Dove shampoo for color-treated hair gently cleans and protects your tresses, leaving them silky, soft, and manageable. In a nutshell, it’s always better to follow it up with the conditioner.
- if followed up with the Dove Color Care conditioner, this shampoo nourishes and conditions hair, protecting color from fading;
- duo helps to keep hair color vibrant for up to 40 washes;
- gentle enough to use every day;
- nice smell.
- a bit pricey.
6. Best Shampoo for Red Color-Treated Hair: John Frieda Radiant Red Colour Protecting Shampoo and Conditioner
Red color-treated hair requires special treatment, and the John Frieda combo is meant to preserve and magnify your vibrant red color. I have to admit, this product seems a bit controversial. My clients with red-dyed hair said that it helped to preserve color indeed.
And even some of those with naturally red tresses mentioned that this shampoo enhanced their natural color. However, there are some reviews where people complained about the product being useless. I guess, we’re all different so it’s hard to say for sure how this shampoo will affect your hair.
- this shampoo for red color-treated hair contains pomegranate and plum extracts;
- preserves color;
- may enhance your natural red color;
- hair feels soft and manageable;
- refreshing scent.
- may fade hair, despite being called a red-color protecting shampoo;
- also, may dry out your locks.
7. Maple Holistics Sage Shampoo – Best Dandruff Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair
This product contains plenty of natural ingredients like rosemary, spikenard & jojoba, argan, and tea tree oils. The number one is obviously sage that is known for its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties to combat dermatitis.
After the very first wash, you will notice the difference. This Maple Holistics shampoo works wonders to reduce flaking and dandruff, leaving your hair soft and manageable.
- great for eliminating flakes and dandruff;
- contains natural ingredients;
- free of sulfates and parabens;
- some people find it to be too drying.
8. Maple Holistics Degrease Moisture Control Shampoo – Best Shampoo for Oily Color-Treated Hair
This clarifying shampoo is made to combat oiliness and dandruff. It contains a plethora of oils like jojoba, rosemary, lemon, basil, and cypress oils. All the ingredients work together to remove oily build-up, restore pH balance, and improve blood circulation in the scalp.
Also, this shampoo can help with itching, prevent hair loss, and promote healthy hair growth. Whether your hair is color-treated or not, it’s a win-win!
- best shampoo for oily color-treated hair with dandruff that combats flaking and removes excess oil;
- adds body and volume to your tresses;
- safe for sensitive skin;
- sulfate-free and paraben-free.
- since it’s a clarifying shampoo, it may dry hair and scalp if used too often.
9. Aveda Color Conserve Shampoo with Lavender and Peppermint
I find this one to be the best Aveda shampoo for color-treated hair. It’s made with plenty of organic ingredients such as lavender, peppermint, ylang-ylang, and soy-derived vitamin E. The shampoo works pretty well, minimizing the color fade and adding body to hair.
Still, there is a very little color fade after several washes, but I guess, that’s normal. I like how manageable and full my hair feels after using this shampoo, so I’m ready to sacrifice a little bit of color.
- contains natural ingredients;
- resists color fading;
- makes hair fuller and easier to manage;
- neutral smell.
10. Best Organic Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair – ArtNaturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
The well-known argan oil, natural herbal extracts, protein, and vitamin E – all these ingredients work in perfect sync to moisturize, strengthen, and protect your precious locks. The organic formula of both products is infused with aloe vera, burdock root, rosemary, thyme, and more.
This ArtNaturals shampoo gently cleanses hair without stripping the color, while the conditioner hydrates, protects, and adds extra shine. Used together, these products maximize their restorative and nourishing properties.
- this duo moisturizes, nourishes, and restores your locks;
- contains natural ingredients that protect, strengthen, and promote healthy hair growth;
- hair feels soft, silky, and full;
- sulfate-free and paraben-free;
- oddly enough, the conditioner may leave hair dry;
- no good for thinning locks.
11. Best Volumizing Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair – Biotin Growth-Support Volumizing Shampoo by Paisle Botanics
If you’re the one to suffer from hair loss or thinning hair, that is the product just for you. Not only it gives your locks extra volume but also helps with hair loss and promotes new hair growth. Besides the botanical biotin, the ingredients include caffeine that stimulates the scalp & argan oil and keratin that lock in moisture.
After washing, hair feels thicker, fuller, and more voluminous – just make sure to rinse the product thoroughly. Plus, the color seems to be intact.
- this volumizing shampoo for color-treated hair is a great help for those with hair loss;
- contains argan oil, caffeine, keratin, saw palmetto, hemp seed oil, vitamin E, and more;
- doesn’t fade the color;
- sulfate-free and paraben-free;
- pleasant smell.
- costs a pretty penny.
12. Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo & Conditioner – Best Shampoo for Blonde Color-Treated Hair
This duo was created especially for dyed blonde hair to preserve the color and prevent it from getting brassy. The thing is, dyed silver/ashy/white/platinum blonde tends to get a bit brassy or yellowish almost inevitably. That is where this purple shampoo for color-treated hair comes into play. The manufacturer promises to preserve 89% of your hair color for up to 8 weeks which is quite impressive.
This shampoo for blonde color-treated hair does a great job indeed. It removes brassiness, leaving almost no violet tint. However, if used too often, this shampoo may give your hair that purplish hue. I’d recommend to use it once in a while (as the directions suggest) and follow up with the conditioner to prevent dryness.
- this duo does a great job of removing brassy tones;
- helps your purple color to stay longer;
- hair feels soft and silky;
- pleasant clean smell.
- may dry hair and scalp, especially if used too often;
- both products are rather hard to clean out of the shower.
13. Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Dry Color-Treated Hair – BIOLAGE Colorlast
As the manufacturer claims, the Colorlast formulas are inspired by the anti-fade properties of the vibrant orchid. So, these products were developed to protect your hair, balance moisture, and preserve the color which they do just great.
The Colorlast shampoo gently cleans and maintains the color depth and tone, while the conditioner moisturizes, softens, and detangles. After using these products, hair feels soft, well-moisturized, and manageable. Even the damaged ends (which are quite a challenge for people with dry hair) seem to be receiving much-needed moisture.
- best shampoo and conditioner for dry color-treated hair that help to extend the lifespan of the color;
- protect, strengthen, and repair hair damage;
- this BIOLAGE shampoo for color-treated hair is great for fine tresses – it revives them without weighing down;
- may dry hair.
14. Moroccan Argan Oil by Pure Nature Lux Spa – Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Color-Treated Hair
This hair care system is designed to hydrate, nourish, and repair damage caused by chemicals during perm or dye or excessive heat from styling. Both, shampoo and conditioner, are said to be suitable for all hair types, including curly color-treated hair.
By the way, if you prefer to straighten your curls, they seem to be straightened easier with the help of these products. After washing, hair feels light, soft, less tangled and frizzy. Finally, anti-color fade formula helps to maintain the color, leaving your locks bright and shiny.
- best shampoo for wavy color-treated hair that aids in curl definition and makes straightening easier;
- this hair system helps to preserve the color, keeping it bright and shiny;
- moisturizes, nourishes, and strengthens your locks;
- leaves hair easy-to-manage, shiny, and soft;
- free of sulfates and parabens.
- hair gets oily a bit faster.
15. Natural Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set Sulfate Free by Bingo
As you’ve probably noticed, argan oil is quite a popular ingredient in many hair products. It’s no wonder, given its vast properties. Argan oil helps to promote healthy hair growth, increase hair elasticity, and restore shine to lifeless locks. These Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner are the real catch for those who want to restore moisture balance, reduce flaking, and prevent dryness. Also, they help the color to stay longer. As a result, you will get soft, silky, and shiny locks that are full of life.
- best shampoo for thin color-treated hair that gives it volume and body;
- great products for fine curly/wavy hair that encourage the curl without weighing it down;
- make hair less frizzy, tangle-free, and manageable;
- one may not like the smell.
16. Best Shampoo for Damaged Color-Treated Hair – Tigi Bed Head Colour Goddess Shampoo and Conditioner
The first thing you notice about this shampoo and conditioner is the scent. They smell like caramel or vanilla, and the scent is just awesome, yet some people may find it to be overpowering. As for the actual outcome, these products do the trick.
The shampoo refreshes, cleanses, and removes build-up, when the conditioner smoothes and adds shine to your tresses. Hair becomes more resistant to breakage, thus you get fewer broken ends. There may be a little color fading after a few washes, but I guess that’s okay. Many of my clients admit that the color is holding up well with this duo.
- infused with sweet almond oil, coconut oil, and keratin;
- help to preserve the color;
- make hair stronger, softer, and healthy-looking;
- sweet caramel smell.
- hair is not so shiny as you may want;
- in some cases, there may be a little color fading.
17. Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair by Maple Holistics
This Tea Tree shampoo is specially designed to combat scalp issues like dandruff, flaking, and itching. Containing tea tree, rosemary, and lavender oils, it purifies the scalp and restores the moisture balance to prevent dryness. The matching conditioner is made to deeply moisturize, smooth, and nourish your tresses with the help of argan oil, shea butter, sea buckthorn, and other ingredients. As a result, you will get soft, full, and less greasy hair & soothed scalp.
- best shampoo for psoriasis and color-treated hair that combats flaking, dandruff, and itching;
- contain organic pomegranate, green tea, sea buckthorn, hibiscus, and more;
- duo straightens and smoothes your locks, promoting healthy hair growth;
- great help for oily hair;
- free of sulfates, parabens, and silicone.
- no good for thinning hair since these products may cause shedding.
18. Best Professional Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair – ORIBE Shampoo for Beautiful Color
Coming in a luxurious claret-colored bottle, this ORIBE shampoo is designed especially for color-treated hair. It deeply cleanses, moisturizing damaged areas and extending the life of the color. The ORIBE Signature complex, containing watermelon, lychee, and edelweiss flower extracts, protects your hair from damaging, drying, and oxidative stress. I’d recommend to follow up this shampoo with the ORIBE conditioner for beautiful color. That way you will get soft, shiny, and less frizzy hair & the color that stays longer.
- best moisturizing shampoo for color-treated hair that helps to repair and hydrate damaged areas;
- contains herbal extracts;
- provides your locks with UV protection;
19. Puriya Anti-Dandruff Conditioner for Flaky, Itchy Scalp
One of my favorite treatments for dandruff, flaking, and itchiness. Thanks to tea tree oil, sage, arnica, and rosemary, this conditioner works wonders reducing flakes and soothing the scalp. You will probably notice the difference after the very first wash.
Not only this product combats dandruff and itching but also leaves your hair soft and tangle-free. For better results, use it after the Puria Scalp Therapy Shampoo. The Scalp Therapy formula increases blood circulation in the scalp, moisturizes, and nourishes your precious locks.
- great help for those suffering from dandruff, flakes, and itchiness;
- contains natural essential oils and vitamin B that strengthen and repair your locks;
- increases scalp blood circulation;
- sulfate-free and paraben-free;
- nice smell and thick consistency.
20. Best Shampoo for Dry Color-Treated Hair – RUSK Deepshine Color Hydrate Sulfate-Free Shampoo
This gentle cleansing shampoo is formulated to prolong color retention and replenish much-needed moisture. It does a great job of hydrating and reviving dry locks indeed. It’s better to follow up this RUSK shampoo for color-treated hair with the Deepshine Color Hydrate conditioner for better results.
But even without the help of the conditioner, the shampoo doesn’t seem to dry hair out. One may find the conditioner to be too heavy or strong, so you may want to alternate it with a weaker one to avoid weighing hair down.
- moisturizes and revives dry locks;
- doesn’t strip color from hair;
- great at removing build-up from styling products;
21. Paisle Botanics Hydrating Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair
As the manufacturer claims, this shampoo is suitable for all hair types, including color-treated, damaged, and over-processed hair. The product protects the color, replenishes moisture, and helps to repair damaged locks. It contains Moroccan argan oil, aloe vera coconut oil, and hemp seed oil that work together to hydrate, provide UV protection, and fight frizz. Keratin and protein help to repair colored and thermally harmed strands. This shampoo leaves you with soft, smooth, and tangle-free hair without weighing it down.
- restores the moisture level, repairs damaged locks, and reduces frizz;
- contains botanical extracts that prevent fading and protect from thermal & sunray damage;
- leaves hair smooth, silky, and soft;
- sulfate-free and paraben-free.
- hair may feel dry.
22. Argan Oil Restorative Shampoo by Essential Oils Lab
This sulfate-free restorative shampoo is made with a bunch of organic ingredients like botanical keratin, avocado oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, and camellia seed oil, not to mention organic Moroccan argan oil. Working in sync, they provide moisture for all hair types, including color-treated hair.
This shampoo is a great help for those with oily hair, letting you go longer between washes. Also, it’s a pretty good shampoo for thin hair since it doesn’t weigh it down. For better results, use this shampoo coupled with the EOL Beauty Argan Oil Restorative conditioner.
- infused with essential oils and organic ingredients;
- helps with greasy hair;
- lathers pretty well, despite being sulfate-free and paraben-free;
- hair looks full, shiny, and healthy;
- may strip color;
- heavily scented.
23. Honeydew Natural Aloe Vera Shampoo for Men & Women – Best Cheap Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair
This shampoo features a very rich formula infused with vitamins and oils. Aloe Vera extract is well-known for its moisturizing and calming properties. It’s enhanced by sunflower oil that helps to repair dry and broken locks & prevent thinning hair, while plant-derived keratin promotes hair growth and adds volume.
It’s a great shampoo for fine hair that makes it look fuller and denser. Also, it helps to tame frizzy tresses. Actually, this shampoo is suitable for all hair types, leaving you with super soft, smooth, and well-moisturized locks.
- 96% natural ingredients;
- contains vitamins A, B, C, D, and E & beta-carotene, lecithin, insulin, unsaturated fatty acids, and more;
- lathers well;
- paraben-free and sulfate-free;
- may dry hair.
24. Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Color-Treated African-American Hair – Elucence Moisture Benefits]
That is a great duo for thick curly hair, especially African-American. The shampoo contains peach extract, ginseng, Irish moss, and wheat protein that moisturize and condition your locks without weighing them down. Vitamins B5 and E improve hair texture & coconut-derived cleansers provide rich lathering.
The conditioner detangles, strengthens, and helps to extend the lifespan of color. As a result, you get bouncy, shiny, soft, and healthy-looking tresses that are a pure joy to look at!
- best shampoo and conditioner for color-treated African-American hair that make good curls for curly styles;
- strengthen, moisturize, and preserve color;
- good conditioner for extremely dry, damaged hair;
- hair looks bouncy, shiny, and healthy;
- can help with shedding.
- may leave hair flat;
25. Best Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair – DELUGE
This duo is safe for chemically, keratin, and color-treated hair. Argan oil protects your hair from styling heat and UV damage, while keratin and omega 3 fatty acids hydrate it deeply. Hair feels soft, smooth, and easy-to-style. These products are good even for thin hair since they don’t weigh it down.
- this duo helps to repair damaged locks, deeply moisturizes, and promotes hair growth;
- safe for chemically, keratin, and color-treated hair;
- conditioner gently detangles, prevents frizz, and repairs split ends;
- makes curls more defined;
- sulfate-free and paraben-free.
- duo smells like old-school cologne;
- may make hair greasy.
26. Best Protein Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair – The Natural Solution Silk18 Shampoo and Conditioner by Maple Holistics
You’ve probably noticed that I’m a big fan of Maple Holistics. This duo contains a lot of beneficial ingredients like argan oil, jojoba oil, green tea, sea buckthorn, and more. What’s more, the conditioner is formulated with a blend of 18 silk amino acids, thus the name.
It’s great for curly frizzy locks but also boosts straight hair with volume. These products are meant to soften your hair, moisturize, and strengthen. Also, they help with itching and combat flaking. As a result, you get soft, silky, and shiny hair that is easy-to-manage.
- set contains silk amino acids and many more natural ingredients;
- great help for those with dandruff and itchy scalp;
- eliminates frizz and flyaways;
- paraben-free and silicone-free;
- safe for chemically-treated hair.
- may dry your tresses.
27. Pantene Pro-V Radiant Color Shine Shampoo
The moisturizing formula of this Pantene shampoo for color-treated hair is gentle enough for everyday use. Not only does this shampoo cleanses but also nourishes and makes detangling easier. The Chroma Spectrum technology helps to protect the color and reveal the shine of natural hair. After using this shampoo, hair looks bright, shiny, and healthy – and what more could one ask for? As for me, it is the best daily shampoo for color-treated hair.
- one of the best daily shampoos for color-treated hair that cleans gently enough;
- makes the process of detangling easier;
- protects color.
- a bit pricey.
Using Shampoos for Color-Treated Hair: FAQ & Tips
Related Article: Best Color Depositing Shampoos Reviewed
How to preserve the color for as long as possible?
Try to avoid chlorinated water and sun rays. I don’t want to say that you shouldn’t go outside – you definitely should. Just cover your head with a hat or something like that. Also, reduce the usage of heat stylers such as blow-dryers, flat irons, and curling irons. Even the lowest temperatures can cause damage.
The more frequently you wash your hair, the faster the color will fade. So spend some time and find the perfect shampoo for your color-treated locks which lets you wash them, like, every other day or less. And if you don’t like your current color and want to change it, you can use shampoos that contain sulfates – they strip color faster.
Don’t you ever try to bleach your dark hair on your own!
No good would come from this. Even if things seem okay at first, the color will probably change over time, and you will have to go to the salon. And that means extra procedures that inevitably damage hair. Bleaching is quite a challenge even for the professional, so the best thing you can do is to find a good stylist. Ask him how to start bleaching your hair, since it’s a complex process that usually goes through a number of stages.
How do I choose color if I want to dye my hair?
It’s believed that your natural color suits you the best as the mother nature gave it to you. However, since we have so many options these days, you can choose pretty much any color you want. Still, it’s better to start with the hair-dye that is one-two shades darker than your natural hair. That way you can try out hair coloring and, if necessary, go back to your natural hair with less damage and efforts.
Related Article: Best Shampoo for Men: Handpicked Options
Best Shampoos For Color-Treated Hair: What Have We Learned About Them?
There are so many shades and colors available – and there are shampoos just for every one of them. I highly recommend you to look through consumer reports on the best shampoos for color-treated hair before purchasing one. When the manufacturer tries hard to sell their product, real people can point its flaws.
I hope my top-list will be helpful for you. I’ve tried to pick out different shampoos, for both blonde and dark hair, curly and straight one. Follow the tips I gave you to keep the color bright and vibrant. And feel free to ask more questions in the comment section below – I would be happy to answer them all!
Ladies, what products do you use for dyed tresses? What is the best shampoo for color-treated hair and hard water/soft water? Many factors affect hair color, and the water is just one of them. So, how do you preserve the color in the first place? Let me know in the comments!