Hello, ladies! Have you heard about hair straightening products that can make flat ironing easier and faster and your hair – healthier and shinier? If so, you probably wonder how to choose the best hair straightening cream or gel. And if you haven’t – welcome to my blog, this post is waiting for you!
I’m Monica, and today I’d like to talk about the best products for straightening curly hair and products to keep hair straight after straightening it with tools like a flat iron. Also, I’ll answer some of the questions I get asked most often – ‘cause what’s the point of writing such a post without giving away some handy tips about straightening curly hair products? And as a stylist, I have quite a few up my sleeve.
Flat ironing is a fast and effective way to have your hair straight. Yet, such styling may still damage hair due to the high temperatures. And that’s the moment when hair straightening products come to the rescue. Many of them can actually protect your locks from heat, nourish and moisturize them.
Also, some hair straightening products for curly hair can be used instead of flat ironing so that your locks get the chance to restore after high temperatures.
I’ve made three top lists of the hair straightening creams, balms, and gels – depending on the hair type. Eager to find the best products for straightening natural hair? Wonder what product to choose for straightening curly black hair? Curious about hair straightening products for men? Then my post is just for you!
Best Hair Straightening Products for Black Hair and Afro-American Hair
Well, let’s start with the best products for straightening natural African-American hair. Such hair can be pretty hard to tame, so for styling it, you need really strong and effective treatment. Also, these are great hair straightening products for black hair as well. So if you are a proud owner of the dark head of hair, you may want to take a look at these products.
1. Brazilian Blowout Thermal Straightening Balm – My Top Pick
This straightening balm features a unique humidity resistant formula that helps straighten curls and regulate frizz.
Also, this heat-activated treatment locks moisture in and protects your hair from heat during styling. It will leave you with smooth, shiny, and manageable locks – and what else do you need for a great blowout? Comparing with other straightening natural hair products, this one works great, yet it’s recommended for normal hair.
- This balm blocks humidity, reduces frizz, and provides your hair with heat protection;
- Makes flat ironing easier and faster;
- Creates awesome shine;
- Smells great.
- It’s recommended for normal hair so the balm may not work well on fine or thick hair.
2. PHYTO Phytodefrisant Botanical Straightening Balm: One of the Best Straightening Products for Curly Hair
This heat-activated hair primer will prepare your locks for a healthy and beautiful blowout. It can be used to reduce frizz, soften, moisturize, and protect your hair during styling. The benefits are cumulative, meaning that over time of regular use your hair becomes more and more manageable and soft.
It’s one of the best products for straightening hair if you prefer natural ingredients. This sulfate-free balm is 99% botanical, and the key ingredients are chamomile, sage, horseradish, and mucilage plant. Also, it’s cruelty-free which is a key factor for many people.
- This balm softens and moisturizes your hair;
- It’s a great treatment to protect your hair during heat-activated styling;
- Really good at reducing frizz;
- Hair doesn’t feel greasy or heavy;
- Sulfate- and cruelty-free balm.
- It may seem pretty pricey.
3. Argan Hair Leave-in Conditioner Cream for Men and Women
This cream is made to moisturize, nourish, and soften your hair. Also, it reduces frizz, repairs and protects your locks against split ends which is just as important. This sulfate-free treatment contains natural herbal complex that makes your locks healthier and easier to tame. I have normal medium-length locks, and it’s the best hair straightening cream I’ve ever used. Yet, it doesn’t work that well on thick coarse hair.
If you’re worried about animal testing, you will be glad to know that this product is cruelty-free and it’s not tested on animals.
- This cream repairs softens, and moisturize your locks without making them heavy;
- It has a nice smell;
- Suitable for both men and women;
- Hair doesn’t feel greasy or oily;
- Cruelty-free product.
- Doesn’t work well with really thick hair.
4. B&B Straight Blow Dry Balm: Best Straightening Product for African-American Hair with Cumulative Benefits
This blow dry product helps straighten your locks, smooth them, and protect them from heat during styling. It seems to be heat-activated, and if you try to apply it to wet hair without the blow drying, there probably won’t be any improvements.
Like the PHYTO Botanical Straightening Balm, this treatment makes your hair more manageable with every use. Comparing with other black hair straightening products, this one has only one solid con – the price.
- This balm makes your hair soft, silky, and healthy-looking;
- Great at reducing frizz;
- Smells great;
- Hair doesn’t look greasy.
- Pretty pricey.
5. Garnier Fructis Blow Dry Perfector: Semi-Permanent Hair Straightening Product that Lasts up to 24 hours
This straightening balm makes blow-drying your hair much easier, creating frizz-free, smooth, and shiny locks. Such a result may last up to 3 days which is quite impressive! The balm contains argan oil from Morocco that helps create this shiny and silky look.
Also, the smell is just great which is a nice bonus. My verdict – this is the best straightening product for black hair I’ve come across so far!
- This straightening balm makes your hair soft and shiny;
- Helps reduce frizz for up to 24 hours;
- Smells great;
- The blowout lasts a long time.
- Recently, the price has just skyrocketed.
Best Straightening Products for Natural Hair
Now, let’s look at some good products for straightening natural hair. There are creams and balms along with shampoos and conditioners, so you have many options here. When choosing the products for straightening natural hair, consider your hair length and overall condition.
1. L’ANZA Healing Smoother Straightening Balm for Natural Hair That Features Heat Protection
This straightening balm will smooth your hair and reduce frizz, leaving you with shiny, soft, and naturally-looking locks. Its Keratin Healing System heals and protects your hair, while organic coix seed straightens curls and waves. Also, this straightening product for natural hair provides your locks with thermal protection up to 482°F.
To straighten, apply a small amount of the cream on damp hair. Then blow dry it with a round or flat brush to achieve maximum smoothness.
- This cream stops frizz, softens hair, and protects it from heat;
- Leaves hair color rich and vibrant;
- Creates naturally-looking shine;
- Doesn’t weigh hair down.
- The balm may leave residue if you apply too much of it.
2. Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment Set: One of the Best Keratin Hair Straightening Products
This set includes an original formula Keratin treatment and a clarifying shampoo along with a sulfate-free shampoo and a sulfate-free conditioner. The Keratin hair treatment helps straighten and smooth your hair for over 3 months.
It contains argan oil, coconut oil, proteins, and amino acid complexes to moisturize your hair and make it healthier. As a result, you will get soft and elastic locks that are much easier to manage – who wouldn’t want that? I find this treatment to be one of the best permanent hair straightening products.
To perform the treatment successfully, you will need a flat iron that can maintain 450°F heat level, a blow dryer, a comb, and a clarifying shampoo. Be careful and read the instructions before the procedure.
- This Keratin Hair Treatment helps you straighten, smooth, and repair your locks;
- It also reduces frizz and kinkiness;
- The treatment makes styling much easier and faster;
- It’s suitable for virgin, colored, and chemically-treated hair.
- You need someone to apply the treatment on your hair – this is very difficult to do on your own.
3. Matrix Total Results Sleek Shampoo & Conditioner Liter Duo: Combo of Hair Straightening Products for Natural Hair
These are professional hair straightening products that will leave you with much softer, shinier, and more manageable hair after the very first washing.
Also, this combo significantly reduces frizz and even works as a detangler. The shampoo doesn’t feel harsh, and the conditioner is pretty thick, just as you want it to be.
- The Matrix shampoo and conditioner control frizz, smooth your hair and leave it tangle-free;
- They smell clean and airy;
- If your skin is very sensitive, you may break out from this product, so don’t use it too often and carefully rinse it off as soon as possible;
- The shampoo and the conditioner both have just the right texture.
- It doesn’t feel like it rinses clean.
4. TIGI Bed Head Straighten Out Straightening Cream: Top-Notch Product for Natural Hair
This treatment can be a great help in blocking out humidity, and it’s called a 98% humidity-defying straightening cream for a good reason.
To create a blowout that will last a long time, apply the cream to damp hair and comb it through to distribute the treatment evenly. Then, blow-dry your locks until they’re completely dry and use a flat iron to straighten them. And enjoy your professionally-looking blowout! Can I say it’s the best hair straightening cream for natural hair? No, but it worked on my hair pretty great. So I am sure it’s worth a try.
- This cream is pretty good at blocking humidity and reducing frizz;
- Works well on really thick curly hair;
- The structure may seem thin and sticky;
- Makes your blowout last longer;
- Has a nice fruity smell.
- Doesn’t work well on biracial hair.
5. Suave Professionals Anti Frizz Cream: Natural Hair Straightening Product to Finish Your Look
This lightweight cream, containing silk protein and vitamin E, helps smooth your locks and reduce frizz for up to 24 hours. It’s supposed to work even better if you’re using other hair products of this brand – such as Sleek Shampoo Conditioner and Anti-Frizz Cream.
Use this cream as a surface finisher to complete your blowout, making hair shiny and smooth. For fine textures, use it on dry hair. And if your locks are medium or thick, you can also apply the cream on wet hair for extra frizz control – and then again on dry hair to smooth flyaways.
- This cream is great at controlling frizz and flyaways;
- Works well on both thin and thick hair;
- Doesn’t weigh hair down;
- Smells great.
- If you use too much of the cream, your hair may feel too sleek or greasy.
Best Hair Straightening Products for Men
That’s not a secret – some guys also want to have their hair straight. So, I’ve decided to do some research, and here are my top 5 hair straightening products for guys. It’s based primarily on reviews by Amazon users, yet I took into account my clients’ comments about these particular hair straightening products.
1. JASON Flaxseed Hi-Shine Styling Gel: One of the Best Straightening Products for Curly Hair
If used properly, this styling gel for men’s hair will leave you with soft and shiny hair with a great deal of volume. It contains the unique blend of panthenol, plant proteins and extracts, and flaxseeds. Using natural ingredients is one of the main concerns of the JASON company.
What’s more, their products aren’t tested on animals. So, you can see why I prefer to use their men hair straightening products like gels and pomades when working with male clients.
- This gel controls frizz and adds a lot of shine to your locks;
- Works great even on thick untamable hair;
- Suitable for color-treated or permed hair;
- Has a pleasant smell;
- One may find this gel rather drying, especially if you already have dry ends.
2. John Frieda Frizz Ease Straight Fixation Styling Crème: Provides Your Hair with Heat Protection
Keep the frizz under control and make your hair sleek and straight for up to 24 hours with the best hair straightening cream for men. It contains milk protein and sweet almond oil that help condition your hair without weighing it down.
And the unique ThermaGard complex protects your locks from heat during styling. Your blowout will last for a couple of days without feeling greasy – isn’t that a dream?
- This cream leaves you with shiny, sleek, and soft locks;
- Provides your hair with heat protection;
- Works well on even coarse, thick hair;
- Great at controlling frizz.
- Compared to some salon brands, this one may not impress you that much, but overall, this cream does the trick.
3. Smooth Viking Hair Care Forming Cream for High Hold and Matte Finish
This styling cream will mold your hair in any style you want. It contains organic argan oil, natural soybean oil, beeswax, and green tea extract – the ingredients that not only make this treatment effective but also keep your hair and scalp feeling healthy and nourished.
Such things are one of the main concerns of the Smooth Viking company – the fact that is always pleasant to know.
- This styling cream is suitable for various hair types including thick, thin, straight, wavy or curly;
- Its strong hold formula helps you maintain the hairstyle throughout the day;
- The result may not be that shiny;
- Doesn’t make your hair greasy or oily;
- Has a pleasant smell.
- It seems to be designed especially for men, yet there are some Smooth Viking products for women.
4. Got2b Ultra Glued Invincible Styling Hair Gel: Ultra Strong Men’s Hair Straightening Product(not available)
Are you looking for a perfect styling gel for creating vertical hairstyles? This Got2b hair gel is an excellent choice as its hold is strong enough to mold your hair in almost any style you want. This treatment delivers ultimate control without being sticky or flaky.
Plus, it’s quite easy to wash out with just a little amount of shampoo. What a handy styling product for men, isn’t it?
- This gel features a glue-like strong mold that helps make any hairstyle you want;
- It isn’t sticky or flaky;
- Doesn’t weigh hair down;
- Has a nice smell.
- Doesn’t work well on fine, thin hair.
5. American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel: Best Hair Straightening Products for Curly Hair That Holds Up Against Humidity
This non-flaking gel is enriched with natural extracts that add shine to your hair and make it look thicker. Also, it contains a dual polymer complex that provides high hold with a high shine, and the low pH prevents drying the scalp and the hair.
Plus, this gel holds up pretty good against high humidity which is a critical factor for some people.
- This gel provides very high hold, prevents flaking, and holds well even on humid days;
- Prevents your scalp and hair from drying;
- Works great even on thick hair;
- Has a nice light smell that doesn’t overpower colognes or an aftershave;
- Lasts all day.
- It may seem a bit pricey.
Hair Straightening Products – Q&A
Here, I’d like to answer a couple of questions that I get asked most often.
Are these hair straightening products harmful to my locks? What are the safest products to use when straightening hair?
Some of the modern products can even improve your hair condition if used properly. For example, the Argan Hair Leave-in Conditioner Cream that I mentioned before contains natural herbal ingredients that make your hair healthier and nourish it. Or take PHYTO Phytodefrisant Botanical Straightening Balm, for instance, that softens your hair, moisturizes it, and protects fine hair from heat during styling.
So, look into ingredients carefully and follow the instructions when choosing and using products for straightening hair. Be especially cautious if you’re allergic to some components, and don’t use products that contain these ingredients. Always observe the safety procedures.
Overall, straightening hair products is a good complement for a flat iron or other styling tools. Some products make flat ironing noticeably faster and easier, and the result can impress you! But be ready to spend some time finding the one that works for you. Finding African-American hair straightening products may be especially difficult since this hair type is tough to manage.
Why should I use hair straightening products after all?
It’s totally up to you, but as I just said, hair products for straightening hair can significantly improve your experience with a flat iron. Some hair straightening products such as Brazilian Blowout Thermal Straightening Balm make flat ironing faster and easier, giving you the shinier result.
Other products, like L’ANZA Healing Smoother Straightening Balm, protect your locks from heat during styling. Not to mention, they usually have other useful features such as controlling frizz or softening hair.
Most modern flat irons are pretty safe to use, yet heat can still damage your locks. And using hair straightening products can help condition hair, nourish, and moisturize it. Not a bad thing to do to your own hair, right?
How do I treat straightened hair?
First, try to straighten them with minimal damage – choose a straightening tool that works better for you: straightening brush, hot air brush or flat iron; select the right heat level for your hair type, and always use a heat protectant. Try to reduce usage of a blow-dryer and let your hair air dry when it’s possible. When it comes to styling, the less heat is always the better.
Second, use those hair straightening products that nourish your hair, moisturize it, and protect from heat damage. Choose them depending on your hair type. Moisturizing shampoos, hair masques, and argan oil (and other oils) will come in extremely handy, too.
As a Conclusion
Well, I believe this post was at least a bit helpful for you. My top lists are based on my own experience and that of my numerous clients. Also, I always examine hair straightening products reviews before choosing one, and I highly recommend you to do so. I have to admit, some of them may be fake, but in those cases, their authors are to blame.
We’ve talked about 15 hair straightening treatments that I find to be rather effective. Some of them work well for thick Afro-American hair, while others are suitable for normal hair. And there are even various products for men – the fact that many people get stunned to find out 🙂
Finally, let’s discuss what to bear in mind when choosing or using hair straightening creams, balms, waxes and gels.
- Define your hair type, and look for a treatment that is suitable for it;
- Choose a hair product depending on your concerns – making hair softer, adding shine, moisturizing, etc;
- Pay attention to the ingredients, especially if you’re allergic to some of them;
- If you care a lot about nature and animals, look for the products that are cruelty-free and aren’t tested on animals;
- If you have color-treated, damaged or fragile locks, be especially picky when choosing hair products for straightening curly hair;
- Read other people’s reviews and ask your friends, relatives, and your stylist for advice.
- Carefully read the instructions and follow them;
- Use a product in a well-ventilated area;
- Always observe the safety procedures;
- Don’t use too much of treatment so that your hair won’t feel oily or greasy;
- Some hair straightening products are heat-activated meaning that they will work only in combination with a flat iron, a Headkandy straightening brush or other styling tools;
- Some products should be applied on damp hair, while others work better on dry hair – find this out before using 🙂
Hair straightening products can be a great help if used properly. They nourish and moisturize your locks, protect them from heat damage, control frizz, make flat ironing easier, and ultimately – help you create a wonderful blowout. And all of that – for quite a reasonable price. At least, in most cases 🙂
When it comes to hair care, there are plenty of options, and that’s not always that great. With so many hair straightening products available on the market, it may be hard to choose the one which will work for you. I guess, sometimes it’s this process of trial and error.
So, ladies, have you ever used any hair straightening products? Which one is your favorite? Do you find them useful at all? Feel free to leave your comments below. I would be glad to read them all!